Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wiring

Ever wonder why some people are the way they are? For instance, the spouse and myself are so completely different it's almost scary.

He's wired to be productive under supervision and thrives in a very structured environment. That's why the Army is his best career choice, he's finally seen that (note: this is something that I've known for years, but hey you can only say "I told you so" so many times). Me on the other hand, well...I thrive on chaos, I chafe at the bit in highly structured situations...I am the consummate Aquarius.

How in the world have we managed not to murder each other in the past 14 years? I dunno. The relationship seems to work alright. We do have our moments of tension (see scary stuff) and I used to express my opinion by hurling the nearest heavy object at his head. Don't worry, I never hit him. My aim is too good. Like just about every married woman I even entertained the thought of smothering him with a pillow, then realized it would do me little good to go to jail. I'm volatile, he's not so much. Then there are ways that I'm way more relaxed than him. The spouse stresses easily and his stomach feels the brunt of the stress. Me, if I can't fix it I let it go. I tend to let the screamers do their worst...if they ain't bleeding it's all cool. He goes nutty at the noise. I suppose opposites do attract.

So where does that lead in terms of survival/prep/goo? We balance each other out for the most part. His wiring, so different from my own, grounds me. He is my ground wire, I'm his hot one (lol...I'm hot). It's the balance that preppers/survivalists need in their company of friends and family. Be honest...you don't really want a permanent antagonist in your group? A downer that has no happy place? The point is to choose carefully. Time is short for most to do this, but done it must be. No man is an island...no woman either.

Prep all you like, but darn it...get thee a support system!

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Sounds like me & DH except reversed. I'm his ground. The slow, practical one. He's the one with more ability to handle chaos and more desire to take a chance. We work well together thankfully!

HermitJim said...

Hummm, wonder where that leaves all us single guys running around with no ground...?

No matter, I've been told for a long time I have a split personality...might as well get some use out of it!

Good post!

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you doing? Hope all is well.

larryb said...

Just found your Blog and it's awesome! I've become a follower after a ten minute read in here. Good stuff and well covered by a bright writer/communicator. :-)

Cheers,

lb

The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts. --Edmund Burke