Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Just for the heck of it....

I'm going to share a favorite recipe with ya! Howdy! Perfect for preppers 'cause you have everything you need (or should have) in the stores. It's a cookie, of course, because I will admit fully and completely that I am a cookie junkie. Oh and it's egg free, so lasts a REALLY long time in the fridge if you don't want to cook all 4 dozen it yields at once.

Here goes:

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups packed brown sugar (pack it nice and tight)
1 cup butter or margarine, softened (hey did you know there was a study out that said butter is WAY better for you than margarine...just thought I'd let ya know)
1/2 cup buttermilk (never fear, regular milk works here too)
1 tsp vanilla (honestly, I use a little more but hey...I don't measure!)

3 1/2 cups oats (either old fashioned or quick cook, doesn't matter)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (or use self rising and omit the last two ingredients)
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (seriously go for semi here, there is A LOT of sugar in these already)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt


Cream together brown sugar, butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients (note the separation, I usually just dump in everything and get a good dough before adding the chocolate chips).

Shape into one inch balls (puh-leeze, I just scoop it out with a tblspn) and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 3" apart. Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 (ahem, 10-12 at 350 is better) or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool (try not to scald your tongue as you steal them from the rack). Store in airtight container for up to a week (they won't last that long anyway so don't worry about this part).



These are a rocking fave here at the Ozark house...they never ever last longer than a week...NEVER.

I'm actually getting ready to mix some up here shortly for our tattoo artists, 'cause I'm a cool chic that way!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

HermitJim said...

Cookies??? COOKIES?? I LUV cookies...next to chocolate, they're my favorite thing!

Thanks...!

The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts. --Edmund Burke