Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Next....

First Haiti, then Chile (or Chill-ay, if you are so trying to go native)...now Missouri....well, kinda but not really. No damage reported...no lives lost. Has to make you wonder though if we aren't ignoring a "sleeping giant" in our own backyard. Wait, I know they are. Have you seen Sikeston? Sprawled out all over and not really earthquake friendly.

Did I feel it being that they felt it in Lexington, KY which is way further away? Nope. I peacefully napping away at 1:37 p.m. Hey, I get to nap too if I want. Stay-at-home mom privilage. Besides, we're fighting some sort of stealth bug that is playing ninja strike. Coming and going as it dang well pleases. No fevers, so no real worries other than the damn thing has been around a few days and I'm so tired of it already.

Now, I'm off to figure out what's for dinner...not that anyone is really hungry.

4 comments:

madmaddy said...

Hi there! I have been watching the usgs earthquake pages for several years and has it really started to pick up. Lots in odd places, near active areas, but not in the areas itself. Just look at the area north of Yellowstone. A half moon pattern in Montana, but not so many in the park itself. I really believe tho, that the next one that is going to impact the US is going to be off the Oregon coast, or South of Seattle near the old Nisqually quake from '01. It just a matter of time. If that happens, kiss any kind of transportation along I-5 goodbye for a long time. No trucks, no food or gasoline. Just something to consider.
Jen

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Agreed Jen...the patterning is quite interesting (I for one choose to pretty much ignore SoCal...and MidCal for that matter, there's always something there).

I-5 issues would be the same issues here should a whopper rock the New Madrid. Huge convergence of highways linking to the Mississippi crossing @ Wickliffe, KY which is a popular one with transport. Wickliffe itself is close enough that a big rocker would demolish the bridges and such there cutting off a quicker route for deliveries. There are ways around, true...but that particular route shortens drive time quite a bit (aka that's the one I take to KY, lol).

Mayberry said...

I roll my eyes every time I hear the nooz morons say "Chill-AY". Just like I did when they were all saying "Copen-hoggen", when the pope was constantly referred to as "pontiff", when all babysitters became "au-pairs"..... Do they think it makes them sound intelligent? I don't care what they say, it's Chili! Even the Peruvian guy at work says Chili. Good enough for me...

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

I've seen it said-- the mid-[North] America is on a 'dead' but possibly threatening fault line.

Not mine nor yours, 'course...

The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts. --Edmund Burke