Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hallo, Hallo...

my dear neglected readers! I swear, I've not abandoned you...it's just been too incredibly sunny and beautiful here to not be out and about getting to know our surroundings better. No adventures on the bahnhof to report, yet, but I'm sure they are soon to be forthcoming. Especially as the oldest screamer is all agog over the prospect. Castle sightings were planned for the weekend, until the Tanker pulled Staff Duty and the weatherman declared that our long lost rain will be once again making an appearance.

The usual super rainy spring here has been anything but for the past week or so. Seems we're getting the weather that my Ozarks are supposed to have and they are getting ours. Not a bad trade for me!

We still await the mail getting back to normal and caught up due to the volcanic delays. Should be good by the end of the week, so "they" say...I don't care, I want my friggin' shoes that I ordered before the volcano went ape-shit. Soon enough I suppose, but it's getting mighty tiresome to actually have to tie on tennis shoes every time I need to step out the door (which translates into every time I do laundry).

The oldest screamer is now a DoD student and thriving. Loving it. Still ahead of the curve, but fitting in well with his new peers. Sigh of relief. Littlest screamer has made a few friends his own age too, something that was pretty much out when we were still Stateside consider there were no kids his age in the neighborhood. I noticed this morning though that when littlest screamer starts pre-K (or Sure Start as they call it here) the largest majority of his classmates will be of the female persuasion...heaven help me and my little flirt.

Depsite the horrid exchange rate, I've been finding some killer deals on everyday use items (i.e. shelf stable milk, toilet paper, etc) on the economy...another sigh, this time of happiness...gives me further excuse to explore the lovely little town outside the gates. On foot. That's right, we've pretty much decided that we won't be getting a car. Why bother? We have buses, trains and taxis that can be used for far less than the cost of gasing up a car. The Tanker isn't overly thrilled about this, but he'll live. He can get a new bicycle and be fine. Besides, all the walking is doing wonders for lifting my slowly sagging rear.

Hope all is well in reader land...off to brew me some tea and rip into my vanilla sugar packs...mmmmmmmm.

4 comments:

HermitJim said...

I'm sure glad to see an update from you, my friend!

Hope you are getting your mail and such back to normal soon! Must be a hassle at times!

We miss ya...and only hope to see you back on a schedule pretty soon!

Mayberry said...

Soak up yer new surroundings Momma, it ain't often one gets to travel so far...

Wendy said...

I didn't have a car when I was in Germany, either. Like you, I never really needed one, but then, I didn't really like driving in Germany - the few times I had to do it.

We don't have a very good public transit system here, where I live now, and so it would be worse than a mere "inconvenience" to give up our cars, but we could have just one car. I'm hoping to convince my husband it's a good idea. Then, we just need to figure out which of the two to keep ;).

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

HJ~ Thank ya much for stopping in (sorry I'm late thanking you)!

Mabe~ No worries, I soooo am doing just that!

Wendy~ I don't see the need for one either with the great transit system they have. Oh and we were a 1 car family in the States, wasn't overly inconvienent...heck, we went without one at all for a while there.

The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts. --Edmund Burke